My last note was actually sent 2 weeks after I wrote it. There is something with Prairie's mail system that it won't let me send any mail out of my kastanet address, but I can receive fine. Therefore if you send me an email and I don't reply for a very long time, don't think I haven't replied yet, for perhaps, I may have. It may just be sitting in my outbox waiting for the internet to work ;-)
We (Me, myself and over 30 others) have now been at Camp Bighorn for over two weeks, and let me tell you, it has been stellar. It began with a 10-day out-trip. The first three of those days were filled listening to Tom Collins out at a Ranch that a couple graciously lent to us for Leadership Training. Even though I have been through this course before, there are constantly new stuff being brought to my attention. Those three days were not easy. It wasn't the cold weather, nor the dripping tarp, but internal issues that were being 'cleaned out' by the Holy Spirit. Deep Cleansings hurt. But they are good.
This was followed up by a 7-day backpacking trip with out respective teams. We had sunny weather for the first 5 days, and the last day and a half was a little wet, but not to bad. I still have 10 toes AND fingers. Huge Bonus ;-) This trip was mainly for beginning the 'forming' and 'norming' stages of our teams (namely Green Team for me) and thanks to God, it went wonderfully. The first year students are very eager to learn, and we made it to most of our destinations with relative ease. Now I could show you hundreds of pictures from the trip, but instead I limit it to just a couple.
(Taking a drink from my handy-dandy bladder [no, not THAT kind, the kind that holds water in your backpack])
Green Team (Top left to right- Kyle [aka Sunshine], Jon, Kurtis, Beth. Bottom L to R- Chad, Julie, Carmella, Abe)
We did a morning hike in which we woke up at midnight, began hiking at 1am (it takes at least that long to pack up one's life into a backpack that holds 65litres), and covered 2 1/2 miles, bushwacking, in the dark and gaining 1200ft in less than 2 hours! Pretty impressive eh? So we then pulled out our sleeping bags (since we arrived 2 hours at the summit before sunrise), slept for 2 hours and awoke to this! Isn't Dad cool!
After all this amazingness we moved into a river acclimation class in which the 2nd year students were teaching the first year. We finished that about...30 minutes ago. It was awesome. The students loved it, swimming rapids, water wars, throw-bagging etc. Again, cold, but good. If you want to see pictures and/or videos, check out the Explore fan page on Facebook (of which I happen to be one of the ones in charge of). http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2051255&id=1566930078#!/pages/Explore-Wilderness-and-Leadership-Program/144564012224283?ref=ts
Well, you are all probably tired of hearing me talk by now. I would love to hear from you all as well. And...pictures are always lovely!
Blessings for now,
Beth