Jun 27, 2011

Bubble Note 61

Wet, Pink and Happy- the perfect combination for a raft guide.
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Bubble Notes

Prayer Requests

- That my time with my family would be good and encouraging
- That I would be able to come back to the States after this week (as the border has been giving some troubles to my Canadian friends)
- That finances would be figured out for this coming year
- That I would have strength, wisdom and some rest during this summer

Just Another Day as a Raft Guide...

The day began like every other morning this past week- 730am devotions, 9am breakfast and rolling out to the river by 10. My wetsuit had been soaked and dried many times already as I co-taught raft guiding to our new and veteran staff. In Explore the Sr. Interns (which I currently am) teach the college freshmen an outdoor skill- mine being whitewater rafting (guiding). To gain experience in teaching I was asked to help lead the summer staffers in this skill. We had been down several rivers already, varying in skill level from beginner to technical. It was our final day of training, and I was well ready to be in dry clothes after hitting the river 6 days in a row. Our new summer staffers had just completed 4 runs of a less technical area of the Thompson river- only resulting in one swim. Since we didn't have enough shuttle drivers, I alternated with my other leader with driving. As I dropped off the group at the put-in of our final run I yelled out to them 'Don't do anything exciting without me!' 15 Minutes later I waited at the end and saw them coming around the bend, everyone in the boat, paddling easily. Smiling I waved and asked, 'How was it?' "Well, we only had to raft half of it!" "Beth! We all got dumped!" I began laughing but noticed that something wasn't right- one of our gals was walking off coughing pretty bad. I left the group to pack up the raft and followed after her. Between coughs and gasps she informed me that everyone was dumped and she gulped a bit of water. Initially thinking that she just needed to stop hyperventilating I began to coach her breathing. Within a couple minutes, no improvement and questioning I realized that she was having an asthma attack. Although she had had an attack many years ago, she hadn't had a problem since and didn't carry her inhaler. Her breathing continued to decrease rapidly as she wheezed and coughed. I ran back to my co-leader and informed him of what was happening, 'We need to get her to help fast." They picked up the pace. By the time we were all in the van with the raft strapped down she was in respiratory failure. My Wilderness First Responder Training came in very helpful as I assessed the situation and did all I could to help. Without an epi-pen or inhaler there was nothing we could do other than help her breathe slowly and stay calm. What followed was possibly the longest drive of my life. Although it only took us around 30 minutes to drive to the nearest hospital, it felt like an eternity. The backseats were filled with praying teenagers (an amazing support, even for me to see), me coaching her as she struggled to breathe and Josh, my co-leader driving as fast and safe as possible to help. The Lord provides strength, wisdom and peace right when we need it. There was one time on the drive, in between 'Take Big breaths, slow, you're doing great"s that I realized that I was utterly helpless. Perhaps the coaching would provide a little time, but there was nothing else I could do to help her. At that moment I had to give it all, 'Lord, whatever happens here is your's" We whipped into the ER and I bolted with her attached to my arm. Within minutes they had her on Albuterol and breathing easier. Her hands had begun to numb because of the lack of oxygen in her body, but that quickly returned. So there we sat, dripping on the floor in our wetsuits. Thirty minutes it was as if nothing had ever happened. Our asthma girl was begging to come back to camp, and our other staffers were sitting in the waiting room with warm towels, drinking hot chocolate.

After a big sigh, cleanup and good debriefing with friends I can look back on the whole day and say yes, God was in control. It also helped me make a decision that I had been thinking about for a months. As well as doing internship, I will be trying to get my EMT at Prairie within the next 2 years. This may be insane and very busy, but I am realizing that I love to help people, and have been giving a gift of quick decision making and a calm head in emergencies. Pray with me that God will provide the funds and strength to complete this. 


What's Next?

This coming week I am facilitating (other camps call it a counselor) a small group of campers that are coming in. I'm looking forward to being in relationship with them, even though the time is short. Then on Friday (Lord Willing) I will be heading up to BC to spend a week with my family and saying good-bye to them before they head back to Senegal, West Africa for a 3 year term. My parents and Michael (who will be in grade 10) are the only ones returning back to the mission field. Tyler will be working in Calgary, Simon attending University of Calgary, and my sister and her hubby are in Saskatchewan. Pray that we have an amazing time this week as it is one of big transition, but also enjoying each other. The good-bye will be hard.

You can never be too safe...
Friends and I headed out to Thompson Falls on our day off- ice cream, sunshine and nature. A rejuvenating combination. 
Copyright © 2011 Beth, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you LOVE reading about Beth and what she is doing in life. And because anything to do with bubbles makes anyone happy.
Our mailing address is:
Beth
111 Huntcroft Way NE
Calgary, Alberta T2K 4E4

Add us to your address book

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp