Jan 17, 2010
Bubble Note #33
We're Home! Here's what happened: We flew to Bangkok and Stephen went to the embassy and presented our case to the people there. Even though they did not give us a different type of visa they did give us an exception stamp. This stamp stated that we were allowed to return to the country before the required 2 month period but it also stated that upon return we would have to register with the country. Since I have to be careful in my wording, I'll once again copy Tricia's email, "This does mean that we have to register in the country now, which we have never had to do up to this point. That can be a complicated, frustrating process in which we see the parts of our country's bureaucracy which we don't wish to see. :)" We are expecting this to take multiple days to complete, and since the office we have to go too is a 2 hour drive (through exhausting traffic) away, we can't just run back home to pick up a document that we may be required to show. Please yarp that all of us, but especially Stephen will have patience and energy to deal with...everything.
It is good to be home, though, to be honest I think I am beginning to culture shock. I was warned that it normally comes between 6 and 9 months after being here, but I think that returning from Thailand triggered it ;-) With this comes intense emotions, homesickness and sometimes bitterness, please yarp that I will be able to overcome this with joy. In no way do I regret where I am, but that doesn't mean that I don't miss my family and friends. After a conversation with Tricia, I realized (even though I 'knew' this before, it hit me again strong) that true love only comes after I hit the bottom and love becomes a choice, and not a result of emotions. The same applies to culture and countries. I'm willing to move forward into that.
On another note, I had my stitches removed this morning. Perhaps I'll narrate it to you. But to do that I have to go back in time. The oral surgeon in Thailand told me that anytime after a week I should go to a dentist and have the stitches removed, 'no biggie' I thought. The past couple days the stitches were beginning to get annoying so I decided to google a place and try and find a dentist. After searching a little bit Tricia and I decided on a certain one that had a fairly good website, so I called them. "Can you come at 630 mam?" (This was at 5 o'clock)
"I'm sorry, I'm busy tonight, do you have room tomorrow?" (We had a new years eve party on our compound which ended up being 5 hours long with performances and then food served at 930)
"Ok madam, 1030 tomorrow?"
"That works."
"Ok mam, then 630 tonight or 1030 tomorrow"
"I'll come tomorrow then."
"Ok mam, 630 tonight or 1030 tomorrow."
"Ok. Thanks."
So waking up this morning I almost jump out of bed around because..well...things here take time and I thought I may be late for my appointment. Take a quick shower (first hot one since we've been back, a pipe was broken. Ah, bliss.), run downstairs and down a breakfast. Stephen, Elizabeth and I head out of the door around 10, with a google map mentally recorded. When we arrive at the area of town where it is, we start looking. "Beside Syndicate Bank and Coffee Day" said the website. We soon see a sign leading to the dentist. Getting out of the car we follow the sign down some stairs (this is still outside, they often have little shops in the basements on other buildings). "Dentist" it reads outside (as well as "please leave your shoes outside".) Stephen okays the place (as that is what Tricia wanted him to come along for) and heads off to grab coffee. Lizzie and I take a seat and wait (ends up...appointments aren't needed in basement dentists). The dentist walks briskly in from the outdoors 45 minutes after opening time. Within 5 minutes they call be back to the little double patient room. In the back was one room with two dentist chairs (you know...so you can converse with the other patient while having your work done. Naturally). I told them what was needed (they were very professional, I just tried not to look at how clean everything was). Near the beginning the woman pulled out a syringe and liquid (sitting on a shelf in the cupboard). Not quite at ease with the hygiene of the place I quickly said, "I don't think I'll need any anaesthesia." "Oh no." she replied, "this is just the cleaning solution." A sigh of relief escaped from my lips (All I could think of was how I was going to explain to my mother that I got AIDS from having stitches removed). The rest of the procedure went fairly smoothly. At one point (this 10 minute procedure hurt more than the whole surgery) he asked me if I was in pain, I nodded and said yes. "Okay." he replies and continues working. I half laughed, rejoicing that I didn't have the teeth pulled here. Just another average day in my life. So here I am. The teeth grew in in Africa and Canada (at least...they tried too), removed in Thailand and the stitches removed here. I have an international mouth ;-)
Let me know what is happening in your lives! It helps the homesickness (guilt-trip...did it work?).
Much love.
In Him,
Beth