No Biggie, Just Saving Lives Breathing? Check. Pulse? Check. Blood Sweep? Check. Gosh, what am I missing? Then I look up and see the half smirk of my instructor. "Beth, give me an update on your patient." "He has a pulse, is breathing, and no life threatening bleeding." "So what are your initial assessment red flags?" "Uhm...nothing?" "What are you doing?" "Holding his head." "Why?" Oh yea. "His mechanism of injury is trauma so I am stabilizing the spine." "Well done. Carry on." And so went WFR (Wilderness First Responder). Many times I would be doing something, would then be approached by the instructor's and asked to explain what and why I was doing a certain task. Ends up, I'm good at accomplishing what needs to be done, but finding the words to articulate it, not so good. I loved the class. LOVED it. Once again (as my little experience a couple years ago did) it inspired me to eventually get into something medical. Perhaps the next couple years will entail obtaining my EMT license. Now if only I could do that without taking any more math classes.... After WFR we had a Search and Rescue class for the first years. The interns mostly just helped out, it was fun though. Nice to see them in an intense enviroment where they had to impliment their skills. Spring break went from the 11th till the 16th, half of which I spent in Coeur D'Alene and half at Camp. Kind of relaxing, still busy though. I'm looking forward to the small break I will have at the end of the semester. Next Up... We are helping facilitate 'bondage breaking' through a Spiritual Warfare class. That will be taking place tomorrow. Please pray as I facilitate several women through this process. Beginning Thursday we are heading out on our 'Team Trip'. The first years will be travelling in their individual teams without interns! It's an exciting time as they get to put into practice everything they have learnt throughout the year and travel without our leadership. It's also fun for us to be out as an intern team. We have a big group of 12 interns, director's and some Bighorn staff travelling in my group, and I'm looking forward to awesome celebration, meals and fellowship. Now, if it would only stop snowing. | | | | Warming up our hypothermic patient (who actually jumped into a frozen pond, my partner pulled him out quickly) | | | A picture of my good looking brother. Just because I like having him around. (He was a patient in the same scenerio as the previous picture; they cut off his shirt to check for bleeding) | | | |