Figured I should finished off the story. Well, I am "here", arrived at 4am this morning, got through immigration and customs fine, went outside (to a welcoming heat. And that isn't even sarcastic. So far, I love this weather!) and was greeted by Steve, Elisabeth and Luc (I will be teaching Lizzy and Luc). First impressions? Sticky, much more humid than Togo (and for sure than Calgary! But pretty much anything is more humid than Calgary). Reallllly nice tile/marble like stuff in the airport floors, surprise at the fact that both of my bags actually came through (despite short layovers; thanks Dad.), and peace, that I had finally made it to the place I had been waiting for for so long.
I slept for about 2 more hours this morning, but wanted to start off right right away (as in bodily schedule) so I was up at 8, to the pleasant sounds of...well...life. I had forgotten how comforting it is to wake up to cars, or wind, or people...I MUCH prefer this over a beeping over an alarm clock (Canada is to quiet for me ;-) ). The room I am in is very nice, as Elisabeth graciously moved in with her brother to make this possible for me to stay at their place. And spent the rest of the day unpacking and organizing the room to make it home. It may take a while to feel like my own room, but it is very nice and spacious, and well lit. I brought an armload of stuff to the schoolroom (/garage) and was given a tour of the house. I will be decorating the school room soon, and hopefully making it a fun and enjoyable atmosphere. Even though I've only been here for less than 12 hours, I have loved being around the kids (Josiah, the 1 year old, is just toddling around, gabbing away to himself, and thought he would be very useful in helping me upack, hehe), but am starting to get a little nervous about how I'm going to make this fun. I mean, school is school...but, I want to make it as little school like as I can. That may mean sporadic walks, just because their teacher is slightly ADD (haha, not really....but sometimes I wonder....).
I will hopefully update you on what is going on, in my mind and around, very soon. I'm sorry if this email seems kind of random and not well written, my body is trying to catch up with me. 12 hour time difference is kind of like turning your body inside out.
Much love to you all. And thanks for your thoughts...they are the only way I got through this (or am currently coping).
Beth
p.s. I think I've found the most beautiful scene in the world. It's descending through an infinite plateau of luscious clouds with the full moons rays creating tiny spotlights splattered atop the grey rolling puffs.