The sun is shining. I'm sitting in a garage with two very seriously studying students in the near area. Yes, I teach out of a garage. But a very cool garage. The first day of school we decided to come up with a school name, and concluded upon GIL. The Garage Institute of Learning.
This is just a quick snapshot with my webcam, Luc (in grade 4) working hard. Both Luc and Elisabeth are avid readers, so that makes my job pretty easy (read these pages, and do this. Now read this, and do this. hehe, not always, but I think they are much easier to work with than I was in either 4th or 7th grade!).
I have been here for almost a week now, tomorrow it'll be a week. A lot has happened in that week, at least it feels like it. Since I have arrived I have gone shopping, been to the tailor to begin getting my outfits made, eaten several ethnic dishes, been in an auto-rickshaw, gone to a birthday party, met for the first time a high-school friend from my online school, experienced jet-lag like never before and gotten sick. Well, sort of sick. We're not sure if it is delayed jet-lag or the flu, but the last day and a half hasn't been the most fun. I am a lot better now, and had a 4 hour "nap" yesterday. I am loving the weather, culture, smells and sounds, and of course, the kids and Tricia. I haven't yet ventured out on my own, because, even though there isn't a language barrier, I still feel very....new.
I wish I had more to write, but my mind still feels like it's a broken puzzle being put back together on a new table- and a slippery one at that so the pieces keep falling off. As my mum said recently, coming into a new culture makes on humbled many times over. And as Tricia said recently, Dad tends to use our weakest points to grow on when we go overseas. I betcha the two work together very well.
Perhaps ask Dad that I will be humbled and grow at my weakest points in a way that is glorifying to Him.
Now the sun is really shining....and since I'm the teacher...maybe it's time for a recess ;-)
Beth