May 25, 2012

Bubble Note #72

Transition, change and identity. But man is it fun. 
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Bubble Notes
Story of my life...

I could really go for the tropics right now. 



Also, what are you up too this summer?

I get paid to hike! 

The concept of doing something that I love, AND making money at the same time is mindblowing! I am now being paid to impliment the skills I have been paying to learn for the last 2 years. Granted, the pay isn't large, but it's not negative. So I arrived at Easter Seals Camp Horizon on May 7th and have been hiking, planning, calling, asking, reading and talking. As I said in a previous email, I am the Trip Lead; ie. I plan and run all the hiking and overnight camping trips. We have a fabulous colourful schedule already made, and I have had a blast getting to know the other camp staff. Very different from Camp Bighorn, but still special and fun in a different way. This is not a Christian camp, so that dynamic is different as well.

Just to keep your attention and not blab on for ages, I shall make a handy little list for you to browse. A list of... I'll make it a list of new things I have experienced while being here:
  • Hiking in kilometers and not miles, and measuring the height of mountains in meters, not feet. It's messing me up.
  • The giant swing (on my birthday none the less!)
  • Certified in Swift Water Rescue and doing that course in a glazier fed river (which means beautiful clear water...but also freakin cold!)
  • Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (or as I mixed it up all day, Non-Crisis Violent Intervention. Oops.)
  • Not new, but something I was hoping to avoid: but I summitted yet another mountain...in a blizzard. I believe I have had more whiteout conditions on mountaintops than clear. And WHY is it still snowing in May?
  • A course in Accessible High Ropes (how to get people who have a disability up onto a regular high ropes course? 4-1 pulleys and so many techniques. Very useful, very cool.)  
  • Sleep in a container (like the ones they send overseas-- except mine has walls and a bed)

What's Next?

Camp doesn't start for another 2 weeks- but the rest of the staff arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to more training and then implimenting my plans. Your prayers would be appreciated as I step into a role that I have never been in before, and there is a fair amount of expectation and responsibility put on me. If you would like any more information about what I do specifically just let me know. I think it will become more clear as the summer goes on. 


Copyright © 2012 Beth Friesen, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you LOVE reading about Beth and what she is doing in life. And because anything to do with bubbles makes anyone happy.
Our mailing address is:
Beth Friesen
Box 4872, Prairie Bible Institute
Three Hills, Alberta T0M 2N0
Canada

Add us to your address book

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp